Saturday 28 April 2012

CAD Alternative



Visit Tagbits to see the full range of tagger products described in this blog.

I've been using Creo Elements (CoCreate) for all of my CAD so far. Every Friday in the pub Nophead tries to convince me of the virtues of OpenSCAD but I just can't mesh with it.

Creo Elements has always bothered me though in that:
1. It uses a file format incompatible with any other CAD package and,
2. It must phone home every 3 days or it stops working.

So I've been looking into Autodesk 123D. It shares similar operation with Elements. I'm working my way through the tutorials.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You might be interested in FreeCAD. It is still under heavy development, though.

http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/free-cad/index.php?title=Main_Page

It supports several standard formats (STEP, IGES, DXF, ...) and doesn't phone home at all.

You can do the scripting (like in OpenSCAD), but in Python, but you can also design visually.